North East Lincolnshire Parent Participation Forum
General Advice Line: 07583474892
Legal Advice Line: 0800 987 8808



Guidance & template letter for social care assessment for your disabled child. Challenging a refusal to assess your disabled child for specialist services. Every Disabled Child Matters, in association with Irwin Mitchell Solicitors, has created a template letter to help families with disabled children to gain an assessment for social care services.

This letter is intended to help parents who have been told that their council will not assess their disabled child in relation to short breaks or any other specialist social care service.

The law says that councils must assess every child who is or may be a child ‘in need’. Children are ‘in need’ if they are ‘disabled’. Therefore, it is unlawful for a local authority to refuse an assessment for a disabled child.

The first step for a parent of a disabled child who needs short breaks, or other social care services, is to ask for an assessment. Parents should ask their social worker (if they have one) or the duty worker for the Disabled Children’s Team (or equivalent) if they will carry out the assessment. If the answer to a request for an assessment is ‘no’, then a version of this letter can be sent to explain the legal situation.

The letter, and an accompanying guide, has been written by Steve Broach, a barrister at Doughty Street Chambers and Alex Rook, Associate Solicitor at Irwin Mitchell, two lawyers who specialise in cases involving disabled children. This is intended as a general guide and does not replace legal advice on their specific case.


Factsheet from Cerebra: Carers’ Assessments in England for parents/carers of children with a learning disability

North East Lincolnshire Parent Participation Forum: Health Pilot. Contact a Family and NHS England’s Parent Participation Project: a briefing for health colleagues

Local Government Ombudsman: Navigating school transport issues

Commissioned by the Department of Health. The Lenehan Review

Home to School Travel and Transport. Statutory guidance on making home-to-school travel arrangements for children and young people, and on promoting sustainable travel

North East Lincolnshire Home to School Transport Policy Including Pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) For the Academic Year 2017-2018

Rehab Recovery offers free advice and guidance for autistic people who suffer with an addiction to drugs or alcohol.

If you have a learning disability you can get extra support when visiting the doctor. To do so you need to join the learning disability register – which could also mean you can have a free Annual Health Check. Download the template letter to give to your GP

Childcare Choices: New government website launched with funding information for parents and providers.The government is introducing new ways to help parents with childcare costs. Whether you have toddlers or teens, you could get support

Kooth is a safe, confidential and non-stigmatized way for young people to receive free counselling, advice and support on-line. The website is staffed by fully trained and qualified counsellors and available until 10pm each night, and weekends from 6pm – 10pm, 365 days per year, it provides a much needed confidential and instant access service for young people aged 11-25

North East Lincolnshire Council and North East Lincolnshire Clinical Commissioning Group  Future in Mind: Transformation Plan 2015 – 2020

North East Lincolnshire Council Play Strategy – Refresh January 2016

Newsletter Issue 5: senart-article

Newsletter Issue 5: hearing-vision-article

Newsletter Issue 5:  core-assets-article

Power in Numbers by NELPPF

IPSEA – Independent Parental Special Education Advice

Special Needs Jungle – information and advice

Contact a Family

Council for Disabled Children…/support-for-parents-on-

Preparing for Adulthood

National Network of Parent Carer Forums

0-25 SEND Code of Practice

Children and Families Act 2014

Care Act

Voices Together Advocacy Services, North East Lincolnshire

Reasonable Adjustments for Disabled Pupils: Guidance for Schools in England

Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions

Mental health and behaviour in schools

0 to 25 SEND code of practice: a guide for health professionals

Social care: guide to the 0 to 25 SEND code of practice

Disabled Children: A Legal Handbook 2nd edition. Authors: Steve Broach, Luke Clements and Janet Read

Max Card:Max Card – discounts for fostered and disabled children

Turn to Us

Citizen’s Advice Bureau

Disability Living Allowance

Personal Independence Payment

Disability Rights

North East Lincolnshire Local Offer

Carers Allowance


National Autistic Society (NAS)

Cerebral Palsy

Down’s Syndrome Association



FLAG: A vital resource for Special Needs Children and their families


Carers Support Service, Grimsby

The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health

National Children’s Bureau

Carers Trust

Carers UK

North East Lincolnshire SENDIASS  formerly known as Parent Partnership

The Children’s Sleep Charity

Healthwatch North East Lincolnshire

Future in mind: Promoting, protecting and improving our children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing

Lightning Review: Access to Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services, May 2016

The Handbook to the NHS Constitution


Cerebra:  Problem-Solving Toolkit

Cerebra: Problem-Solving Toolkit for Families: Accessing Public Services Toolkit

Royal College of Practitioners: Safeguarding Children Toolkit for General Practice

The GP Champion’s Project. What Every GP Practice can do to Improve Young People’s Health:


















Latest from NELPFF